[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Derek Goodacre

Posted by Smudger on Tue, Apr 17 2018 at 03:14 PM CDT:

In Reply to: Derek Goodacre posted by Tony T on Sun, Apr 15 2018 at 05:28 PM CDT:

After leaving Support Coy (Anti-Tank Pl) Len Hart Pl Sgt, Ron Clapson, & Harry Harris Det Comds I was posted to A Coy as Coy Clerk where I met Granny Goodacre,Sid Flower Coy Comd's batman,along with the armstoreman. WQe all shared a barrack.We served many years together. Derek & Sid Flower were ushers at my wedding in '63 to my late wife Kathy. In In ;62 A Coy was sent on a KAPE tour whilst the Bn was stationed in Palace Bks, and we received our new DPM uniforms double issue 1st lot was late arriving.
A Coy was nearly over 250 personnel strong reinforce by some soldiers Drums Pl). The Bn was just over 500 strong - that was the Bn 1 HQ = 1 Coy.
CSM Pace was the CSM and I had to remain in the office whist they were out KAPE in & around Sussex. Derek was in the stores issuing equipment on a daily basis. The Coy worked over the week ends Tuesday & Wednesdays off. One day Granny was trying to dry out some cam nets in the stores & with the windows were shut tight. Suddenly there was a small explosion, the fire guard was called out & grabbed the buckets from outside the guard room & threw the contents on to fire - BOOM the fire exploded. A board of enquiry was held. It transpired that someone was using the fire buckets siphoning fuel from the duty vehicle parked outside the guard to fill his own private vehicle whilst the coy was out off station. Poor Derek was in turmoil trying to work out what happened. All this happen in at Crowborough camp after we were decamped from Maresfield Camp by the Int Centre. Derek RIP.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]