[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: wanted cap badges

Posted by on Fri, Feb 16 2018 at 03:26 AM CST:

In Reply to: Re: wanted cap badges posted by bob jacobs on Thu, Feb 15 2018 at 09:24 PM CST:

: I have the Queens Royal Surrey Regt, the home counties badge , and the Royal Westminster Regt, but I did not get the one I really served in and called my own , I don't know about you Chris but after Aden and when we all moved to Guilford I was under some dickhead of a Sgt major that had been nowhere and done nothing as far as I could find out and he seemed to resent the fact that us TAER had been and served with the Royal Sussex and were a lot better trained than some of the trainers thanks to the Royal Sussex , I left the unit because of that and that fact that I did not feel it was my Regiment any longer and had made many friends in the royal Sussex that I still have today , and was proud to have served over there with them but that includes you of course.. that's the reason I would like my Regimental Cap badge ,,Bob

Bob, I wear my Queens Surrey cap badge in my beret on veterans parades but have worn my Home Counties badge on Aden reunions.
I don't or very seldom wear my Queens regiment badge and although I have a great affinity with the Royal Sussex would feel uncomfortable wearing a badge that I had not worn in service thus I do not have or wear a Royal Sussex cap badge and tend to wear my mother regiment badge (Queens Surreys).
I am proud of my service with the Royal Sussex especially as my father was from Eastbourne.
We should be proud that our GSM's are the only ones to be engraved with the Queens Surrey regiment on them and I believe these are the only GSM's issued to the Queens Surrey's in its short history are to those TAER who served in Aden alongside us (no doubt someone can confirm).
It would be interesting to know how many men from the Queens Surreys were in Aden I can name a few, including Colonel Rod but don't know the exact numbers.
I have promised to donate my GSM to the Surrey Infantry Museum as they do not have any in the collection appertaining to Queens Surreys.
Perhaps you could do the same and at least our medals will be side by side as a tribute to our many years of comradeship.
Take care old buddy....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]