[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Alvis stalwart

Posted by on Mon, Dec 04 2017 at 12:46 PM CST:

Years back while I was still in the army in Lemgo in Germany the regiment was a part of the 20 Armour brigade. Annually we used to have a truck and other vehicle rally. One year I found myself participating with Johnny Andrews as my driver in the Stalwart section I as his map reader It was a timed rally meaning we had set times to get between check points. It was quite enjoyable till as the sun was rising we cane face to face with what looked like an impossible section which was in Sennelage
along a number of dirt tracks. We had a good look and we noticed that towards the end the track we came to a great deprecation with a drop of about 35 to 40 feet. I as the map reader studied the map and could find no other track I pointed this out to Johnny who answered "If there is no other track this is the way forward. We also both noticed that there was 20 Arm Bre metal signpost directing us to this great hole. Johnny being the person he is cautiously drove to the end of the track and after asking me if I was still belted in he drove this great piece of metal over the edge. The vehicle went nose first down the side of the hole My stomach begged me to open the window as it wanted to empty itself through the mouth and the other orifice but with cloth over my mouth and my feet tightly crossed we made it to the bottom without a mishap then just a few min later we found a much easier slope we could have come down. Coming out was not so difficult. The decent was seen by some marshals and a good laugh was had by all till we got to the prize giving. Johnny being the driver got 25DM for the maneuver as first prize and I got 15Dm as his map reader. And we had the last laugh.Ha Ha.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]