Chairman Treasurer Hon. Secretary
Peter Smith Joe Sneyd Bob Bumstead
11Avards Close
Hawkhurst
Cranbrook
TN18 4EJ
01580 754864
SEPTEMBER NEWSLETTER
First of all apologies for being late with the newsletter, but you know how it is this time of the year, sea
sand and at our age sleep.
Our former president, Burtie Sanders, was taken into hospital and had part of his leg amputated and I’m
sure you all join me in wishing him well and a speedy recovery.
Joe and I visited Col. Arnold as he said he has trouble with his legs and feet so we went on a Saturday
afternoon jaunt and it was a pleasure to see him and his delightful family again. We met his son-in-law for
the first time and I’m sure he couldn’t make head nor tail of what we were on about.
On 12
th
/13
th
August we had a stall at the Sedlescombe Past Times, it was manned by one member and
another member’s wife, for which we thank them for giving up what was a lovely weekend, although we
only made £31.00 profit it all helps.
Forthcoming events, I’ve covered most of September’s already but a quick reminder,
th
Goodwood,
th
THE event, Lewes dinner,
th
Laying up of the Women’s section RBL at All Saints church at 1500hrs, if you would like to attend you
will be welcome.
th
collection at Morrison’s store in Queen’s Road
th
/1
st
Oct visit to Passchendale
Advance warnings,
The December meeting will be held as an informal social evening with food laid on. Tickets priced £6.00
need to be bought in advance for the buffet so we know how many to cater for, they can be obtained from
Mike Hewton, Joe Sneyd, Pete Smith or Bob Bumstead, this is a social event so family and friends are also
welcome to attend so bring your wives and girlfriends but not together. That reminds me of a Sgt’s mess
dinner I was waiting at, the RSM proposed a toast to “our wives and sweethearts” and Sgt?????? Said
may they never meet. The RSM didn’t flinch he just held up his right hand showing five fingers, indicating
five extras.
If you have anything you wish to have added please let me know and I will do it.
The October newsletter is late so I can report on the Passchendale trip
The Passchendale trip had a few hiccups regarding timings but apart from that I think everyone enjoyed
themselves, and if you have never been to the last post ceremony you really should, it was the most moving
thing I have ever been to. The evening we were there the Military Wives Choir from Shorncliffe sang the
Exhortation and it was absolutely beautiful, young and old were moved to tears.

On the Sunday we went to Arras and most of the party went to the caves, although they are actually
tunnels where a garrison lived underground, I wasn’t well enough to make the walk but the people that
did said it was an eye-opener how they had lived and fought from them.
On Sunday the 14
th
October 17 branch members and families met at the Royal Oak in Hawkhurst for
Sunday lunch which everyone enjoyed, and we are going to do one every 3 months at different venues ,
just an informal get together to chat and meet up completely relaxed.
That’s it for this month, so take care all.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]