[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Why the royal Sussex regiment

Posted by Dilly on Fri, Sep 01 2017 at 12:28 AM CDT:

In Reply to: Re: Why the royal Sussex regiment posted by Tony T on Thu, Aug 31 2017 at 02:32 PM CDT:

: An excellent post Dilly I am sure many will follow.

: I had been home a week or more having spent the last 19 months navigating the whole of the British Isles on an inshore oil tanker, MV GRIT. A telegram from the shipping federation in Southampton delivered by a school mate had just arrived. I had been assigned to a Cruise Liner, ‘The Royal Mail Andes,’ as the Captains steward (Ships Tiger) going on a Mediterranean Cruise, and to report to the SFO in Southampton.
Tony glad you made the right decision and joined the regiment. As a JL there were no golden rivets just the odd officer you had to look out for. One was notorious for being round the shower block.

: Mum lent me £5 as I was broke, off I went on my James 125. Less then 5 miles, I turned around went back home and said I was not going. It had cost my parents a lot of money to see me through sea school, and still to receive the Golden Rivet. Not too sure what the term was had I been an IJL, one or two of them did as it was the only sure way of gaining a third stripe.

: Gave back my Mum the fiver who was not too pleased. The very next day I went into Town, Chichester getting off at top of North Street where the Army Recruiting office was. The recruiting sergeant name I have forgotten, but I know when he came back to the battalion he ended up WO2 Officers steward, possible in Germany?

: A week later I was given a rail warrant to report with a suite case of clothing to the Recruiting Office in Brighton. There I took the oath and given a Queens Shilling along with another rail warrant to Canterbury where I was met and taken to Wemyss Barracks, now Leros Barracks. There for several days, finally given four weeks pay along with a return railway ticket home and a three-week leave pass. Hard to believe but it happened. My training sergeant at the depot was Sgt Tony Prudence, went on to become RSM of 2 Queens. I met once in NI when he was a CSM.

: Do it all again? ‘Who are you asking Sir?’

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]