[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Why the royal Sussex regiment

Posted by Colonel R.M. Arnold on Thu, Aug 31 2017 at 04:33 PM CDT:

In Reply to: Re: Why the royal Sussex regiment posted by Tony T on Thu, Aug 31 2017 at 02:32 PM CDT:

: An excellent post Dilly I am sure many will follow.

: I had been home a week or more having spent the last 19 months navigating the whole of the British Isles on an inshore oil tanker, MV GRIT. A telegram from the shipping federation in Southampton delivered by a school mate had just arrived. I had been assigned to a Cruise Liner, ‘The Royal Mail Andes,’ as the Captains steward (Ships Tiger) going on a Mediterranean Cruise, and to report to the SFO in Southampton.

And Tony you have given us almost 60 years of colossal humour, support and hearty enjoyment, and life would never have been the same without you. The Royal Sussex has got what the Merchant Fleet missed.

: Mum lent me £5 as I was broke, off I went on my James 125. Less then 5 miles, I turned around went back home and said I was not going. It had cost my parents a lot of money to see me through sea school, and still to receive the Golden Rivet. Not too sure what the term was had I been an IJL, one or two of them did as it was the only sure way of gaining a third stripe.

: Gave back my Mum the fiver who was not too pleased. The very next day I went into Town, Chichester getting off at top of North Street where the Army Recruiting office was. The recruiting sergeant name I have forgotten, but I know when he came back to the battalion he ended up WO2 Officers steward, possible in Germany?

: A week later I was given a rail warrant to report with a suite case of clothing to the Recruiting Office in Brighton. There I took the oath and given a Queens Shilling along with another rail warrant to Canterbury where I was met and taken to Wemyss Barracks, now Leros Barracks. There for several days, finally given four weeks pay along with a return railway ticket home and a three-week leave pass. Hard to believe but it happened. My training sergeant at the depot was Sgt Tony Prudence, went on to become RSM of 2 Queens. I met once in NI when he was a CSM.

: Do it all again? ‘Who are you asking Sir?’

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]