[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: The Future of the Royal Sussex Regimental Association

Posted by Brian (Harry) Marjoram on Sun, Aug 20 2017 at 05:41 PM CDT:

In Reply to: The Future of the Royal Sussex Regimental Association posted by Colonel R.M. Arnold on Sun, Aug 20 2017 at 11:23 AM CDT:

I am pleased the powers that be have also recognised that if we are to survive as a regimental association we need to recruit new and if possible, younger members. Ideally the membership should consist of those who served in the Royal Sussex Regiment buts letís face it, the youngest member of the regiment now will be around 69 years of age so we need to look elsewhere. This is the point I was trying to make in my other post, we should be proactive in welcoming the Queensmen who served alongside us in tough times into the association. When we from the Royal Sussex are no longer around hopefully the Queensmen will welcome PWRR into the club. Mike Sinden very eloquently talks about his sadness in giving up the Royal Sussex cap badge to that of the Home Counties Brigade in 1961(?) and we did the same in 1966; and in 1992 there were possibly still Royal Sussex men serving when the PWRR was born. Esprit de corps is a wonderful thing, the 35th of Foot/ Bengal Lancers had a glorious history, the Royal Sussex Regiment served with honour through the First & Second World War, the Queens Regiment served with distinction in Northern Ireland and other theatres and the PWRR became the most highly decorated regiment in the British Army in modern times. But the common theme running through this was not the regimental names but the guys who were serving at the time. They got on with the job whatever cap badge they were wearing and many of them as we, would have worn two or more cap badges. I totally support the Royal Sussex Regimental Association and as the Colonel has said we have done well in keeping it going when other associations have failed. But we need to be more open and welcoming to those who by service or association with the regiment could become valued members of the regimental association.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]