[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Go Forward the 35th of Foot

Posted by on Sat, Aug 19 2017 at 02:04 PM CDT:

In Reply to: Go Forward the 35th of Foot posted by Mike Sinden on Sat, Aug 19 2017 at 07:58 AM CDT:

: I and 49 young lads stood on the Victoria Train Station platform, in March 1958 for a train to take us to Chichester, and the Depot of The Royal Sussex Regiment. I was called up for National Service. On entering the Depot we were instantly taken to the barber who cut off my most beautiful 'Ducks Arse' hair style with a quiff, and I left with a crew cut. We were introduced to the RSM 'Daddy Dunkeld' who engaged all of us into absolute fear. BUT, I did manage while there, to have a one hour kip in General Von Arniems Staff car when on sentry duty.
: BUT, my most proudest moment was when I was issued with the Royal Sussex Regiment Cap Badge. Once I fitted that Badge into my beret I really felt that I did belong to a very large family. It gave me security (which I never had in my civilian life) friends, 3 solid meals a day, adventure and clothing (even though it was army issue).
: Then in Lemgo when all the Bn were on parade we were ordered to remove our beloved badges, and insert a most useless piece of crap which was the HCBD badge. I was in 'A' Coy in the rear rank. I voiced my opinion loudly, and my CSM heard me. He strode through the ranks, stood just a foot from my face and stated very quietly, "Sinden we just have to obey this order, even though I do not agree with it". I did so, but I placed that Royal Sussex Regiment Badge into my pocket, and I have had that most treasured Badge in my company for some 59 years.
: For me personally being a member of the Royal Sussex Regiment (even though I am a Man of Kent) I just cannot lose that utter very strong embrace of belonging to a quite wonderful, never ending family life.
: Mike
: PS. I am back Eric Sir, and my talons are now sharp.!!

Like the story Mike but surly the home counties badge was pre Lemgo I was on the advance party to Lemgo and we still had the cornflake badge and changed them to the queens regt badge it was before my time that the Royal Sussex badge was gone I joined in 61 with the crap Home counties badge but still am proud to have been a member of T
he Royal Sussex Regt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]