[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Battle of Boar's Head - 30th June 1916

Posted by Colonel R.M. Arnold on Sun, Jul 02 2017 at 06:45 PM CDT:

Les should be grateful he's only got two feet - not so difficult when having to get out out of a self-inflicted condition.
Being a great military historian, Les will also be aware that the Royal Sussex Regiment commemorated the 100th Anniversary of the Battle of Boar's Head on 30th June 2016. This included a tour of the battlefield at Richebourg l'Avoue in France, followed by a Commemoration Service where some 150 members of the Regimental Association were present and with the Branch Standards on parade. We were also delighted to welcome CSM Nelson Carter's four grandchildren who accompanied us throughout the commemorations.
Two days later, we unveiled CSM Carter VC's Memorial Stone at Eastbourne (where he was born) and another one at Hailsham in the afternoon (where he worked). We also unveiled a Memorial Stone tp 'Peter the Lamb', the Southdowner's Regimental mascot who is buried at Herstmonceaux Castle. I also gave a presentation to Brighton University on the Boar's Head battle.
Most towns and villages in Sussex suffered from the Boar's Head battle, with Brighton, Worthing and Eastbourne having significant casualties.
Brighton later decided to raise its own Monument to those from Brighton who had died in the battle and this was led by the Royal British Legion, a year after the 100th Anniversary and our other main Commemorations. I was unable to attend this last Friday as I'm going into hospital for a heart operation, but the Brighton Branch were there to represent the Regiment.
We are all very aware of the Battle of Boar's Head, which we fully commemorated in 2016 - we're now in 2017 and our priority this year is Arras and Passchendaele, which we will be commemorating in September/October.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]