[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Northern Ireland

Posted by Tony T on Mon, Jan 30 2017 at 10:16 AM CST:

This was sent to me by the Colonel. Please read and sign the petition.parliament.uk/petitions/175823

You may have seen reports in the newspapers concerning prosecutions against former members of the armed forces who served in Northern Ireland during the troubles in the late 60’s and onwards.

It is totally unacceptable that our government, having given immunity from prosecution to members of various terrorist organisations involved in the troubles, is sitting on its hands while soldiers are dragged through the courts some forty years later. Having served there myself I can confirm that there were rigorous systems in place to address any wrong doing through military channels at the time. It is therefore very unsatisfactory to find that, as a result of devolution, there are people in positions of power who have scores to settle and they are being allowed to use the law against servants of the crown in a manner which was not foreseen by those who drew up the legislation removing crown immunity in various circumstances.

Clearly, wrong doing cannot go unpunished but the circumstances relating to all of these cases were investigated at the time by the authorities and no action was taken. That should be the end of the matter. It is notable that, at a time when much emphasis is being put on corporate responsibility in civilian life, the government seems to wish to avoid its inherited responsibility to stand up for those its predecessors put in harm’s way. If politicians ‘let slip the dogs of war’ they should be the ones to clear up any mess.

Please will you sign this petition asking for immunity to be given to those who served in Northern Ireland and pass it on to anyone you think might agree.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/175823

TTpp
RA

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: