[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: Your comments on the Ipcress Special (Network) edition !! (and read discount offer)

Posted by Rob on January 26, 2006 at 16:28:17:

In Reply to: Re: Your comments on the Ipcress Special (Network) edition !! (and read discount offer) posted by Gaz on January 25, 2006 at 18:55:04:

Hi Kees,
Found this on the net, written by a certain Sam. Nice review!
Rob.

Video:
Network have provided us with a new digitally remastered anamorphic transfer in the OAR of 2.35:1. Unforunately, it's not a great improvement on the old Carlton release as the print suffers from being too dark and also being a bit gritty and blurry in places. I'm unsure if this intentional or not, though if it was, I'd wonder why they made it as dark and gritty as it this. All in all it is a decent effort for a film that is now over forty years old, however, I do think it can be improved on even more. Also, once again (unfortunely), Network have managed to neglect the powers of DVD by forgetting what should be a must on all releases, subtitles.

Audio:
The original English track in Dolby Digital 2.0 Dual Mono is provided here, and it's pretty good. The dialogue is clear and the music levels consistent. I would've definately liked to see a remixed Dolby Digital 5.1 track to supplement the Stereo track, but unfortunately we don't get that option. In fact, I would've liked to see the inclusion of the DTS track that can be found on the French release from

Extras:
Audio Commentary - First off on disc one, we have an audio commentary for the main feature from director Sidney Furie and editor Peter Hunt. The two of them give us an interesting commentary telling us about all manners of film making, the problems financing the film and the different members of the cast. There are very few quiet moments during the commentary and Furie and Hunt seem to get along with each other really well. An above average commentary that is definately worth a listen.
Trailer - Finishing off the extras from disc one we have the original theatrical trailer. It's an intriguing trailer and one that would make you want to see the film.
Interview with Michael Caine - The second disc kicks off with this interview that was filmed exclusively for the Network releases of The Ipcress File and in it, Michael Caine reminisces about his time working on the film and the direction in which his career is going now. The interview runs for a total of 21 minutes and 10 seconds.
Interview with Ken Adam - We carry from the interview with Sir Michael Caine and into an interview with Sir Ken Adam who was the production designer for the film. Again, this interview was filmed exclusively for Network's DVD releases of The Ipcress File and it runs for 10 minutes and 31 seconds.
The Ipcress File: Michael Caine Goes Stella - This is a nice change in pace on the extras and is a comedy sketch from British television show Stella Street in which Michael Caine is portrayed. Very funny, but does tend to drag in the last minute or so. The sketch runs for 4 minutes and 58 seconds.
Candid Caine documentary - Quite possibly the best extra included on this release, this documentary filmed in 1969, follows Michael Caine for a day and tells us what it's like to be an actor. Caine is very funny and you can see from this documentary that he loves his work. The best thing about the documentary is the way that Caine speaks very frankly about the industry. Well worth watching all 44 minutes and 20 seconds of it.
US Radio Commercials - Here, we are given four original radio commercials used to advertise the film in America. They play one after the other and run for a total of 2 minutes and 48 seconds.
Textless Material - This is one extra I didn't like, purely because it was something where I just didn't understand what was happening. It seemed to just be scenes from the film but without sound. Some text screens beforehand would've made things a lot easier. The feature runs for 4 minutes and 14 seconds.
Stills Gallery - We also have a stills gallery that shows some photos from the film and of the cast and crew. It runs for a total of 13 minutes and 29 seconds.
Soundtrack CD - With the special edition comes some additional extras in the case. This is the first. The soundtrack is by composer John Barry OBE and contains musical elements from the film.
Novel - The next nice surprise in this Special Edition release comes the original book written by Len Deighton.
Booklet - Next up is a booklet that introduces us to the film and it is written by Christopher Bray, the authot of the book, "Caine: A Class Act".
Poster - The special edition finishes off with a double sided A3 poster of the film.

OVERALL:
A fantastic film with great extras, but sadly lacking slightly in the picture and audio department.

Film A
Picture B-
Sound B
Extras A
Overall B+

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: