[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Re: New Conure

Posted by on February 24, 2012 at 10:25:37:

In Reply to: New Conure posted by Miranda on February 21, 2012 at 22:37:56:

: I just brought home a new conure a few days ago. "She" is 9 months old and has spent the psst two months (that I know of) in a pet store in a large glass cage where I am sure many people have tapped or banged on the glass and frightened her. At the store they said that she wasn't very sociable, but I figured that it was because she didn't have enough one on one human attention. I did get to hold her there for a few minutes and she was extremely frightened at first and kept trying to get away. Eventually she relaxed a little bit. Now I cant even replace her food and water in her cage with out her freaking out and getting nervous. Never mind trying to touch her. So i guess my question is, is she too old and has been through too much stress already to gain trust in me? Or is there a way I can work with her to calm down and relax and eventually be playful? I've tried giving her fruits and treats and she hides behind her bed or tries to bite me. She doesn't even seem interested in any of her toys. HELP!!
I have a new girl too. 3 weeks yesterday and we are making progress. She was very nervous and wary at first.
Sit by the cage and just talk and sing to her. Open the door-her curiosity may eventually lure her out. My LOVES nutraberries. I suggest buying the parakeet size which is a perfect snack. Put them in her bowl - see if she likes them, if so that is a great bribe to do almost anything. Then only give them when she is outside the cage.
Check out Sally Blanchards website- article on working with a phobic parrot. It's hard to be patient but I bet she comes around!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]