In Reply to: New GCC coming home soon posted by Dacia on June 24, 2011 at 13:44:28:
Nearly all 'non stick' cookware has Teflon in it. It puts out fumes at 350-500 degrees (different sources say differently). That means that if you are say, cooking things in a sauce the temperature should never get high enough to be harmful... but if you are browning food or worse yet, forget a pan on the stove until the food begins to burn, it can be very dangerous.
Personally I dont like using teflon coated pans. If brief exposure to the fumes can kill birds, it cant be very good for people either. I have used nonstick pans in the house, with good ventilation and of course constantly watching the pan. But I have some stainless steel and cast iron pans now and I like them much better. They cost a bit more and food does stick a little bit but they are easier to clean and basically last forever (as opposed to nonstick pans where the non stick coating will wear off).
Post a Followup