[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]

Last time I got sick with a virus, I was sick for 2 weeks. - sm

Posted by Carol Reese on Tue, Jun 10 2014 at 04:06 PM CDT:

In Reply to: Will I ever feel better? posted by Maureen on Mon, Jun 09 2014 at 07:16 PM CDT:

And it was a virus, although the urgent care and ER had me on FOUR, yes 4, different antibiotics, including one IV in the ER.

I didn't feel at all better for at least a week, and even then it was gradual.

I had an elevated D-dimer (whatever that is - I've been retired for 7 years, so I feel out of the loop on a lot of stuff) and was having chest wall pain, which panicked the doctors. Chest x-ry at urgent care was clear. EKG was okay. But that elevated d-dimer had them send me to the ER - by ambulance because then I wouldn't be waiting for hours to be seen. Chest CT with contrast at the ER was entirely normal. They did pulmonary function tests, the whole ball of wax. Yes I had chest discomfort, but I KNEW it was all chest wall and maybe a little from the asthma, but I was NOT in even mild respiratory distress. They did do a breating treatment. They did blood cultures at both places, from two different spots in each place. Even did a follow up on 3 days later. NOTHING! (I had been doinga lot of rotary cutting of fabric in the 3 or 4 days before this, which accounted for the chest wall discomfort.)

So I ended up having a full cardiac workup over the next 3-4 months, and doc had me stop riding the exercise bike til all that was done. Everything was good. No signs of arterioclerosis anywhere.

So, it was likely a virus - not the flu. I always get my flu shots.

I hadn't been sick in 3 or 4 years, and the last time before that was a similar illness, but not as severe.

But those 2 weeks of absolutely NO energy whatsoever seemed to go on forever. If I'd been working, I don't think I could have worked even at home. I was totally exhausted.

Now, I was about 66 at the time. But even with the asthma and diabetes and arthritis, I'm in pretty good health overall.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Main Board ]